Designing Award Winning Apps and Games
Description: Through stories, interviews, and artifacts we will uncover valuable design processes, techniques, and best practices of Apple Design Award winning apps and games.
- Subverts expectations
- Question basic assumptions
- Convert problems into ideas
Basically throw out of the window what is the current standard and start from scratch, focus on the best experience for the given platform.
- Fits into the flow of real life (no obstacles, external requirements)
- Non-disruptive: provide value without getting in the way
Anything that makes the user more confident in using your app is great.
- Attribution: the user can see, can cause and effect. It’s empowering
- You can trust an app when the way it works feels transparent
- Offer ways to adjust app intelligence
- Explore your ideas
- Take your time
- Draw inspiration from the real world (think like the calculator app) but make sure it doesn’t conflict with the expectations from a digital UI
- Don’t be afraid to throw things away
- Avoid displaying too much information at any given time, show only what matters, remove clutter as much as possible
- The goal is to get people concentrated and present in the current moment
- Create a consistent design language
- Layout every screen side by side
- Design for the platform
- Make your app as accessible as possible
- Attention to detail
- Attention to detail makes your app stands out from the crowd